21.6.10

Steamed Seitan, and stuff.

It has been awhile - I feel like I apologize for this every post...so yea.

Anyway, updates on goings-on and then food time. I haven't been busy per se? But many things have been going on that have been distracting me. Two of my friends from home recently got married, and congratulations to them! I have been reading a lot and riding my bike occasionally which has also been distracting me. I went to Denver to see my family over Memorial Day - it was pretty awesome because I got to see my entire immediate family at one time. That doesn't really happen too often. I have been working every day life was stressful here and there and I have been kind of tired whatnot. So, I kind of forgot about writing for a little bit. Whoops.

Okay, food time.

So, I believe I have posted about seitan before and now I have a new recipe from Viva Vegan by Terry Hope Romero. It is steamed seitan and it is easier and faster than boiling it. It just requires a bit of tin foil. I am going to write about the "white seitan" recipe. It is supposed to be mock white meat.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 C cold vegetable broth
4 grated cloves of garlic
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 C vital wheat gluten
1/4 C chickpea flour
1/4 C nutritional yeast
1 Tsp dried thyme
1/2 Tsp paprika
1/2 Tsp ground cumin
1 Tsp salt

Mix together broth, grated garlic, and olive oil together. Okay, I have a micrograter but I know not everyone does. I think the best way to do this if you don't have one is either very finely dicing it, or maybe food processing it? I sort of think you want this as a bit of a pasty deal, so a food processor for a couple seconds might be good.

Mix all the dry stuff together. Pour the wet stuff into the dry stuff and mix it with a spatula. Knead the dough 2-3 minutes. Let it rest for 10 minutes and knead again for 30 seconds to stiffen it up a little bit. Then cut it into 4 equal pieces. Knead each loaf for a little bit and form little loaves. Wrap them loosely in tin foil and place them into a basket through which steam can come. For instance, I took a colander, wrapped the sides in tin foil and left the bottom open. I put them in that, put a cover over it, and put it over a boiling pot of water. Point is, you want a sealed basket that can steam it all. Let it steam for 30 minutes. Then you're done. Take them off the heat and leave them in the tin foil too cool off. When they're cool, they're set to be used. Store them in an airtight container.

This is a really good seitan recipe. It is really easy, and I like the texture and flavor more than the stuff in Vegan with a Vengeance or Veganomicon. I strongly suggest everyone get this cookbook. I wrote about how to make this as a preface to another post that will be coming after this one.

Hoopppppe you like it.

1 comment:

  1. This is my favorite seitan recipe. Thanks for taking the time to make it available online. The whole Viva Vegan book is pretty great.

    ReplyDelete