21.6.10

Vegan Arroz con Seitan

Okay, I just finished eating this meal (this is another one from Viva Vegan by Terry Hope Romero), and I am pretty into it. I mean it's no Kuba Kuba Arroz con Pollo, but it's still pretty good. I really like Latin American food though, so if that's not really your thing I am not sure you'll like this. But really, who doesn't like rice and veggies. Mmmmmm.

Okay. So first is first, this recipe uses Annatto infused oil. Really easy to make.

1/4 C vegetable oil - you can use canola or peanut
1 Tbsp Annatto seeds

You can get Annatto seeds at Latin American markets. Here in Chicago they aren't hard to find. Throw the seeds and oil together in a pan or pot, turn the heat to medium. Once it comes to a simmer turn it down to low. Let it simmer for about 3 minutes. Strain out the seeds and then let it cool.

Now for the dish. Take two of the loaves of "white seitan" that I outlined in the last case. Cut the seitan into chubby strips about 3 inches long. I personally cut mine a little shorter. I don't really like long strips of food, that's just me. Throw a Tbsp of lime juice, 2 Tbsp soy sauce, 2 Tbsp olive oil, and about a Tsp of oregano over the seitan. Toss it and let it marinate for about 10-20 minutes. If you have a cast iron pan, throw it on a heated one and pour the marinade on it. Let it cook on either side for about 2-3 minutes. Obviously don't let it burn, and turn it. I would heat the pan medium-high. Personally I am a little timid when it comes to heat because I am a bit of a perfectionist, I hate it when things burn. So you might not get the little bit of crispiness you desire unless you cook it a little longer on each side.

Set the seitan aside, and let's start on the next step.

Ingredients for the dish:

2 Tbsp Annatto infused oil
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
5 large cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 lb Yellow Onion, chopped - about 2 medium onions
1/2 lb Green Pepper, chopped - I used 1 large one
2/3 C of Tomato Sauce
1 C light colored beer (Modelo Especial maybe), or vegetable broth
1 1/2 Tsp dried Oregano
1 Tsp Ground Cumin
1 Bay Leaf
1/4 Tsp salt
1 1/2 C long grain white rice
1 1/4 C Vegetable Broth
1 C frozen Peas
1 Carrot, diced
a pinch of ground Black Pepper

I didn't use this but you can do it if you'd like:
1/2 C sliced Green Olives
1/4 C Capers
1/4 C finely chopped cilantro

Okay, throw in both oils together, turn up the heat to medium. Throw in garlic, let it go for about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Throw in the Onions and the Green Pepper (both chopped). Let it go for about 12-15 minutes. You want it pretty soft. Also, make sure you stir it occasionally. Pour in the first C of beer/broth, Tomato Sauce, and toss in the Cumin, Oregano, and Bay Leaf. Let that simmer for 4-5 minutes. Pour in the next bit of broth, throw in the Rice, Salt, Peas, and Carrots. Cover the pot and bring it to a boil. Once it's boiling, reduce the heat to low, push the seitan into the rest of the food. Toss the Olives and Capers on top, and throw the cover on it. Let it go for about 30 minutes, maybe 35.

Remove the pot from the heat and keep the top on it. Let it cool. You're set.

Throw some Pepper and/or Cilantro on it if you'd like.

I really like this dish. I think it would be a little better with the Cilantro, despite my not being a big fan of it. I really love rice dishes like this though. I mean two of my favorites dishes are Paella and Risotto.

Hopefully I will be writing more posts, more often. I would like to try and make more summery/springy dishes what with it being that time of year and all. I have been meaning to make more light dishes but I don't know if I really know how to, ha. Anyway, hope you enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment